An Advanced Driver can be summed up as:
- Being in total control of their vehicle all the time
- Having excellent observation skills and timing
- Enjoying progressive driving when and where conditions permit
- Being safe and effective at overtaking
- Being awareness of other road users behaviour
- Understanding how their car works and getting the best from it
An Advanced Driver has the ability to control the position and speed of the vehicle safely, systematically and smoothly while using road and traffic conditions to make reasonable progress unobtrusively with skill and responsibility.
This skill requires a positive but courteous attitude and a high standard of driving competence based on concentration, effective all round observation, anticipation and planning.
This must be co-ordinated with good handling skills. The vehicle will always be in the right place on the road at the right time, travelling at the right speed with the correct gear engaged and can always be stopped safely in the distance that can be seen to be clear.
The Five S’s of an Advanced Driver
Safety – System – Smoothness – Speed – Sparkle
- Driving in a Safe manner at all times
- Driving using the System of Car Control
- A driving style which is Smooth and unruffled
- Driving within the Speed limits of the law, the conditions, the capability of your car, you own limitations and within in the distance that can be seen to be clear and so you can stop.
- Sparkle is driving with confidence and enjoyment while concentrating on the job in hand no matter how difficult that may be on today’s roads.